Breaking News
Loading...
Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Info Post
Very few trends have come around in the last few years that have gotten me as excited as i am about how huge the "vintage/retro" thing is right now.
I can't help but spend my days looking through flickr groups of old photos and drawing inspiration from the outfits they're wearing.
I've never thought of myself as someone who was very imaginative in terms of clothing, and although i still enjoy inspiring myself through blogs/ebay stores/google image search/etc. i am finding out that personalizing an outfit, or finding a piece that needs some alterations can be as much a hobby as anything else.

the habit our generation has of competing for originality has always made me shy away from any particularly trendy movements, but i can't help but feel like this one just fits.

I've always believed I was born in the wrong era, mainly due to the fact that my dreams, since I was a kid, were to get married, have babies and settle down in a small town with friendly neighbours to raise my kids and be a housewife (all of this, much to my very feminist aunt's disapproval). But aside from the lifestyle of past generations, I tend to prefer even their music, fashions, movies and literature.

I'm sure all of this has contributed to my growing desire to go down South and partake in the stereotypically old fashioned way of life down there...
But until that road trip becomes a reality, I'm content sitting at work reading old novels, "window shopping" on vintage ebay stores and lurking the blogs of the girls who run said online stores...
It's nice to finally have found something i'm so genuinely interested in, and it's motivated me to try to find something I could do with my life that might relate to this interest, seeing as i've spent the last two years of my life out of school in hopes of discovering something i'm passionate about!

On a more superficial note, my daily online adventures have led me to the realization that my current favourite vintage looks are those inspired by 5 year old girls from the 30's and 40's....

take a look: (also, note that when i do have children i want to dress my sons like those two boys on the right of that bottom photo)









0 comments:

Post a Comment