Breaking News
Loading...
Thursday, March 6, 2008

Info Post

Like clockwork every February and August, I go through a major fashion funk. These past few weeks, I've lazily reached for the same oversized chunky navy cardigan, plaid mini-shirtdress, tall boots and thick leggings, resignedly bundled myself up in hair-flattening wool hats and big coats, and prayed for both spring and fashion inspiration. And then, like that!, comes March and a couple of balmy, 70-degree days with Technicolor blue skies, and everything suddenly feels fresh and fun again, including my wardrobe.

Here are a couple of outfits I've sported around town this past week. The first is a vintage plaid cape, paired with a little retro-style cinched black shirt, skinny dark jeans and pewter quilted flats. I've owned this cape for years and never really worn it; now I want to wear nothing else. (Later in the day, when I was heading off to a work event, I paired the cape with a swingy 40s-inspired black jersey dress with a high ruffled neckline and round-toed Mary Jane heels {and bare legs! whoo!}, and it was just as fun.)



I also broke out one of my vintage kimono dresses for a party last weekend. It was a chilly night, so I paired it with opaque tights and patent peep toes and threw on a major faux fur black vintage coat for the commute. {Unfortunately, our apartment still lacks good lighting, so the colors are a little off. Sorry.}



As you may remember, I have an arsenal of ultra-patterned vintage kimonos from my favorite Japanese secondhand shop in Singapore that I'm repurposing as little wrap dresses. I have a tailor hem the length to just above my knee and have them use the spare fabric to sew me an extra long belt. A little artful manipulation and voila!—instant party dress. This one is really over the top – it's predominantly neon pink and orange, with a funky Takashi Murakami-style print. It just might be my favorite.



I also really love this purse, which I'd scored earlier that day at an Alexandria thrift store for $4. It's a vintage patent quilted box shape with a long metal chain that can either be carried as a double-handle shoulder bag or changed up to make an extra-long-handled, across the chest style. It's a pretty fab thrift find, if I do say so myself.

And {as an extra bonus!}, I realized I never posted a few outfit photos I'd taken on my New York trip last month. Here's one of the outfits currently in heavy rotation in my closet: vintage tuxedo vest, ruffle-front white shirt from Urban Outfitters, vintage scarf (tied as a big neck bow!), high-waisted wide-legged gray trousers from Diesel, round-toed Mary Jane heels from Topshop.


I so love a long, skinny scarf as a neck bow—it's an affordable, easy way to change up your look, and when you're tired wearing it that way, the scarf can do double-duty as a hair band, belt or whatever.


Oh yeah, and I got to break out my very underused Eleanor Grosch Keds blackbird mary janes this week too. They've got tons of life left in them, but I'm already eyeing a pair from the very newest collection. (Love the peacocks and the horses.)


Okay, I hope that tides everyone over for a bit, because the weather is about to get all wintry and cold again. Unfortunately, we're not out of the chunky-cardigan woods yet.

0 comments:

Post a Comment