Breaking News
Loading...
Friday, March 7, 2008

Info Post

There are few things that inspire me more than the works of architectural photographer Julius Shulman. Though he's incredibly well-known for his amazing photographs -- my favorite of which perfectly capture the distinctive modern architecture of Southern California in the 50s and 60s -- I only discovered him myself a few years ago when I happened to catch a retrospective of his work at The Getty museum in L.A. (And oh, how we also love The Getty! Can we just say what an amazing day that was?)

Now 97 years old, Shulman still pops up from time to time and recently published a major three-volume retrospective of his works (I own a couple of his books, and my Amazon wishlist – which you click on over at the bottom of the left sidebar, if you're interested – has even more I'd really love to get my hands on). But while he's mainly known for architecture and interiors, Shulman's photographs are also a fantastic resource for fashion inspiration. Many of his pictures are peppered with real people decked out in the styles of the times {like the one above} and I love looking through them to see the clothes. I hope you find them just as inspiring. Enjoy!










{I'm not sure if that photo above is actually of Shulman or just one he took, but here he is recently in his office. Aren't those green table legs fab?}


{P.S. I found a lot of good photos from a recent Metropolis magazine article over here. They have even more on their site; check it out.}

0 comments:

Post a Comment