Breaking News
Loading...
Friday, April 18, 2008

Info Post

I'm feeling kind of weird and out-of-sorts today. I think it might just be the result of too. Much. Fun! (That, or maybe dehydration?) In any case, I have much to do but it is 85 degrees and sunny and summery, and I'm having a hard time staying in and sitting at my desk. At this point, I need a rainy, chilly day so I can get back to being productive.

In the meantime, a slightly lengthy recap of yesterday's goodness.

For starters, I'd like to say that I don't wear crazy vintage dresses around every day or anything. Just most days! It's really a showering/laziness/mood-based kind of thing. For yesterday's non-stop-running-about-town, I actually sported a pretty restrained striped shirtdress from fave Singapore shop Soon Lee. It's fairly straightforward in the front, but has extra gathers in the back to create this great voluminous cloud of shirt behind you. I paired it with my vintage tuxedo vest, a wristful of copper bangles and oversized aviators. Not my best pics, but here you go.



Oh, and also flip-flops (super-comfy Havaianas slim in silver metallic, if you'd like to know). They were necessary because my first order of business of the day was a much-needed, welcome-spring! pedicure at Queen Nails (at the risk of sounding cranky/old/cheap, did you know that pedis at your neighborhood hole-in-the-wall nail salon now cost $36? Man, Asia has spoiled me.) Queen Nails was actually nice and bright and not too hole-y; they did a great job outfitting my toes in glossy Russian Navy. (Oh, I know that I'm supposed to have moved on to bright pinks and spicy yellows, but I love the Russian Navy! It's just so perfectly inky.)

I also swung by local favorite Second Story Books, because I always like to check out what secondhand fashion and design books they've gotten in stock. I've been eyeing A Fashionable Mind, a collection of 1970s columns by New Yorker style critic Kennedy Fraser for awhile, and finally bought it. So far, it's vintagey fashion assessment goodness.

Then I popped over to see Carrie at Axis salon for my monthly trim. I really think she's really getting the hang of my Katie Holmesian aspirations.

Then I stopped by to see the ladies at Secondi, where I recently dropped off $800 of cute-but-no-longer-worn pieces (I get half of it if it all sells. Not too shabby!) Also, a really cute Orla Kiely bag ($70) was spotted among their ever-changing mix. Go!

And then, I swung up to Adams Morgan vintage mecca Meeps, which is always a favorite. And, I don't mean to make anyone insanely jealous or anything, but I just may have found the most unbelievable vintage cocktail dress that bears an incredible resemblance to a certain big bow-shouldered gown sported by one Blair Waldorf to the debutante ball. Except mine is a deep navy-inky-midnight blue. And it is gorgeous. So are these flowers. Nice segue, huh?


The full bow-shouldered dress unveil will be coming after a few slight alterations, I promise. Also, even though I was about five hours early, Meeps let me pick out a free pair of vintage-y shades (which happened to be their Third Thursday promotion last night). I scored the oversized pair below. They are wonderfully enormous, which some days, is just what you just need.


Oh, and then I popped into to Greater Goods, as planned, for my Envirosax fix. They've got the very newest line in stock, and also an adorable dog named Stella to pet. {Everyone, Stella. Stella, everyone.}


Finally, there was some general running around and looking at flowers and visiting of stores and multiple happy hours and boneless fried chicken and mashed potatoes from Logan Tavern.




I wore a new dress from Annie Creamcheese for the evening festivities, and yes, it is perfectly vintage and quite the find, if I do say so myself. I'll give you a better glimpse the next time I wear it, but here's a peek:


{This was shot in Bobbie Medlin's fab new store on M Street.}

{Also, fyi, Annie Creamcheese is having a buy-one-get-one-half-off deal right now. They have been seriously stocked lately.}

Then I came home and had lots of weird dreams that I was on a fashion reality show. I suppose it's no wonder that I feel all kinds of funny today. Still, there is no time for dilly-dallying. There are thrift stores out there to be conquered, after all!

0 comments:

Post a Comment