Breaking News
Loading...
Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Info Post
Today is my grandmother's 95th birthday!!!
She's been a hairdresser for over 60 years, and this is a photograph of her beauty salon back in its hay-day. The salon still looks just like it did and she even does the occasional hair cut or perm! (the only thing that's changed is that those hair dryers now look like this.



The polish word for Grandmother is Babcia (pronounced: bab-cha) but my brother, sister, and I could never pronounce that when we were little, so we called her Babie (bab-E) and it stuck! She's such a spit fire and I really get a lot of my bad clutter/collecting habits from her (y2k never happened in her house - and things are piled high!) I don't know if she realizes how important she is and what a huge inspiration she's been. (her beautiful 1940's silk crepe dresses, those same stories she tells, and the never ending afternoons I've spent exploring her house)
I'm so happy she's still with us.

She's doing amazing for her age, but this week has been hard - she had a terrible fall over the weekend and broke two ribs... I think she'll be fine, but that means cake and ice cream at her hospital room tonight. I'm excited to have her back home though, and to spend more summer afternoons sitting on the back porch.

0 comments:

Post a Comment