Breaking News
Loading...
Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Info Post


I've always imagined Devon and Cornwall as quintessential England, daydreams enhanced by the romantic imagery presented by Tim Walker. I will - after a recent getaway - always remember Cornwall as Falmouth, a quiet town by the river Fal with its beautiful harbour just outside my bedroom window. Falmouth, founded in 1661, was originally called Peny-cwm-cuic, which became 'Pennycomequick'.



The historic Old High Street will set your heart a-flutter with an abundance of charity and antique shops. My favourites were Old Town Hall Antiques and High Street Bazaar, just footsteps away from each other. I love walking into a shop and feeling like I'm at Grandma's attic. The prices were so reasonable - if only I could take everything with me!










Once through the High Street and past the Maritime Museum you can cut across to the beaches - we walked through Gyllyngvase Beach over to Swanpool Beach, where there are lots of crazy ice cream flavour-combos to be had! And with names like Shy Coconut and French Kiss, you can't resist.



Growing up in North Carolina and going to Carolina beaches I am used to seeing lots of sand surrounded by quite a monochromatic colour palette with all the Sea Oats. I was most amazed by the landscape of the Cornwall beaches, so very green and lush with cliffs, rocks and pebbles. It was like having the country and the beach all as one, and reminded me of a family vacation long ago to Cape Cod. The perfect sunny weather and the beach-y town feel made for the perfect opportunity to wear a pair of home-made shorts I found at Design Archives a few years back.





Beach cemeteries are always a surreal sight to come across, so imagine our delight when we took a detour coming back from the beach, and happened upon these flowery, light-filled grounds.






A perfect ending to a perfect day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment