Breaking News
Loading...
Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Info Post

Recently, when I've discussed my strong desire to use more vintage and environmentally friendly fabrics, dyes and production methods for my clothing line, I've been asked the same questions repeatedly; "Is green fashion just a trend?" "Why is it so expensive?" "Why is it so important to produce locally, using natural fibers?"

Though I have a good, general awareness of what steps should be taken towards reducing my carbon footprint, and personal reasons for wanting to be kind to our environment, e.g., health and posterity, I wanted a more in-depth understanding on these issues, especially as a fashion designer. It's a complex road to venture down, but a necessary one. I recently signed up for a course called the introduction to designer sustainability, which commenced last night, taught by Neil from Treehugger.com. I'll be excited to share updates on my findings in sustainable design, and improvements I plan on making for my line as the course progresses and my business evolves.


For years, I've been haunted by the government's handling of our food industry, and have made a conscience effort to change the way I eat and to introduce my family to the importance of buying locally and reading product labels. Yes, it does cost more to eat pure, organic foods, especially when they are not saturated by pesticides and preservatives and free of GMO's. When food is prepared naturally, at a natural pace, it's actually food. It hasn't been modified and stuffed with fillers to create the illusion of something that is actually meant to be consumed. This so called "food" is cheap because it's ingredients are cheap, and provide significantly less nutritional value than the amount of harm it's doing to our health and waistlines. In acknowledgment, organic foods are priced realistically. You pay for what you get.

Same goes for the production of clothes. When buying a piece of clothing that has been produced locally, most likely, you are voting against sweatshops and locomotive carbons. When buying a dress, free of toxic dyes and synthetic fibers, you are protecting your skin from exposure to heavy metals and the environment from horrible pollution. Yes, it's more expensive to produce eco-friendly garments as an independent designer, as there are usually only 10-20 pieces of each garment being produced, as opposed to thousands. It's an investment, and the opposite of indulgence when you are taking care of yourself, the environment and supporting fair labor laws. Buy fewer, quality, garments that are made with care and good intentions, over quantity.



I ask you to share any tips and sources, with great appreciation, that might be beneficial to design sustainability. Of course, this transition for you and me is easier said than done. It's a slow growing process, like most things should be. Because the development of green design and food is a more recent challenge, there are still many many gray areas, ideas to experiment with, and posers to dodge away from, which is why making an effort now is even more important.

I am inspired by the challenges I face everyday as a designer. To create a cohesive collection each season, with the pleasure of stepping back in time, gathering intricate details forgotten from yesteryear, is delightful. The opportunity to step forward in thinking, and to produce a line with an effort made towards becoming green, out of respect to you, me and the environment, is something I will gladly respond to.

x


0 comments:

Post a Comment