Breaking News
Loading...
Monday, November 23, 2009

Info Post
*Subtitle: How I Thankfully Managed to Not Turn my Building's Rooftop Patio Pink

A few months ago I wrote a story on different ways to hunt for secondhand decor finds with a few local experts, which turned me on to the powers of Craigslist. (Not that I hadn't ever used Craigslist before, but I've always found it to be lots and lots of hard-to-search junk, with just a few small treasures.) I also was turned on to the powers of the headboard as a design focus, and put my two new interests together to locate an old-timey brass headboard from a nice guy in Northeast for $40. Score!

It sat, upside-down, in my (very small) hallway for months and months, while I attempted to figure out how exactly I would find the space to spraypaint it, since I -- and just about everyone I know -- live in a small apartment with nonexistent yardage. When Sunday arrived, clear and fairly windless, I decided I'd take my chances and attempt the task in a (very hidden) corner of my roof deck.

Several coats of primer, followed by a healthy spray down of hot pink paint, followed my an emergency trip to Home Depot for more hot pink paint, followed by some rampant googling when I decided I might've inhaled too much spray paint for my own good, and ... voila! I now have a glossy hot pink metal headboard. I love it, although incorporating such a statement piece really changes the dynamic of the bedroom decor, and now I feel like I have to rearrange everything else to give the room more balance. Sigh.

Commander Robot offered his seal of approval... although based on his glassy expression, I suspect he's been sniffing some of the paint fumes...

0 comments:

Post a Comment