Breaking News
Loading...
Friday, August 21, 2009

Info Post
I figured it was about time to do something creative again, and I've wanted to do something fun with plants for a while. So here's a "how to" on a miniature garden.

As the proud owner of a fish, I've learnt that the traditional fish bowl is a horrible nightmare for the fish since they only get confused and stressed when they can't find corners. So if you can't put fish in fish bowls anymore, you might as well come up with something else to do with them.

So I decided to plant something in a fish bowl that had been in a cabin for a while. If you don't have a fish bowl already, they are not that uncommon to find in flea markets or charity shops, and you can always use other things like jars or boxes of course. The plant I use is easy to take care of and is basically many plants wraped together in one pot, I also have some white stones to cover the surface with. It is also good to have extra dirt to plant your plant in.



I start off with putting a bit extra dirt in the bowl, just to stabalize the plants when I put them down. The dirt is also fertalized which is good when you move around plants like this.



Since the opening of this fish bowl is quite small, I had to separate the different plants in order to get them down. The best is to find smaller plants that will fit without possible tearing their roots but this bowl had a very small opening so I went ahead and took a shot with separating instead.


After I've got the whole plant down in the bowl, I pour water on it to make the dirt softer. Then I take the white rocks and placde them inbetween the different parts of the plant in order to create a sort of landscape. The more stones you put around the plant, the better it will look.


Finally, to make the miniature garden look miniature, I place a kewpie figure in the bowl. At first I was going to put a fish figurine in, but because of the way the plant looks and the landscape turned out, I chose to make it a garden instead of the bottom of the sea.


The result:

0 comments:

Post a Comment