Breaking News
Loading...
Saturday, August 1, 2009

Info Post
A few months ago I hit the jackpot of finds at my grandmother's house. Actually, that's not true - my dad did. But, before I explain I have to give a bit of a back story...

Maybe three summers ago I was at my grandmother's house, rummaging around in her concrete block garage that's been stuffed full of things from my mom's parents home and also keeps all the old workings of my grandfather's work shop (he was a mechanic for the Underwood typewriter company) ... can we just say that this garage is like, the mecca of all things amazing? I don't even know 3/4 of what's in there because you totally can't even get around (boxes and boxes and boxes) but, from what I've climbed over, I know it's good! I've pulled my mum's 1960s era Raleigh Robin Hood Cruiser out of here ... dream bike, just like no big deal sitting in the garage...

ANYWAY - I found this old cigar box of metal letters. A really dark metal, almost resembling lead ... they had little holes at the ends so you could nail them into a wall and I thought - oh how perfect to put these on a nice blank wall! Welll, my grandmother didn't part with things easily and she would not let me take them because they belonged to my grandfather and that was that. So, she hid them. Yes. She hid the damn things and I've been wracking my brain as to where she stashed those stupid letters and I think I'm going to give up soon. I've asked everyone in my family to keep their eyes peeled for a 'box of letters' and my dad thought he'd found them. Well, not quite - but maybe this is even better!!!

one of my happiest finds


I love my grandfather's permanent marker writings on each of the letters, and I love that there's a beautiful little tray with rows to keep the letters in place that I know he must have made for their safe keeping...

one of my happiest finds

IMG_4821


I very lovingly cleaned them up a month ago and sort of forgot about them until Wednesday afternoon. Then I got crazy, stamping this - stamping that.... too bad I'm missing the 3 ... 1385 hang tags and business cards were going to be in the works until my plan was foiled (it's okay though, i just found a similar set on etsy that's going to work to replace the three seamlessly!)

So, instead of focusing on business branding - I've been trying to whittle down my paper collection and add a little somethin' else to 1385 wrappings ... some of these have been delivered, some are on their way - and I can't wait to stamp some more!

IMG_4866

IMG_4819

IMG_4917

IMG_4900

IMG_4894

IMG_4823

I've also been making good use of all the road maps, astrological charts, and blue prints that I found at my grandmother's house last week. Thank god for my grandmother, the best of the pack rats.

0 comments:

Post a Comment