Breaking News
Loading...
Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Info Post
Class of 1925
Our second day in West Virginia was as lovely, if not lovelier than the first! Mike left with Jason and headed over to Wild Zero - the tattoo shop Jason works at - where Mike got the outline of the state of West Virginia with their state slogan "Wild and Wonderful" tattooed on the top of his right foot. I picked up an ice latte to go at the Blue Moose Cafe and meandered downtown a little later to catch up with them and laugh a little bit at how much pain my manly man would be in!
I went over to that Antique shop I had spotted yesterday, but it turns out they only open on an appointment basis, and I just didn't want to go to the trouble...
Stewart Hall
Instead, after Mike's tattoo was finished, him and I headed up hill to the West Virginia University campus to take some pictures and look around! The campus is a strange collection of beautiful old brick and stone buildings, interrupted by a bunch of ugly modern buildings made all of glass and chrome...we did our best to weed those out of the pictures and paint as pretty a picture of the campus as possible!
Warner Theatre
More impressive than the campus, at least to me, was the Warner Theater in downtown Morgantown. Built up in the 1940's, this movie theater really did give you the feeling you travelled through time! At least if you could ignore all the modern day cars parked outside! We were lucky enough to come back to it during a No-Parking time frame and got the chance to snap some pretty great pictures of the front of the theater!
A pretty window!
Finally, as we were about to head back to Jason's fort, we stumbled across a little old house that had a bunch of used books for sale inside for anywhere from 15 cents to 1 dollar and we managed to dig up a few classics! F.Scott Fitzgerald's "Tender is the Night" and a book called "Pleasure Man" by Mae West herself made it into my collection, and Mike decided it was time for him to read Homer's "The Odyssey"!

Before I get the chance to crack open West or Fitzgerald I need to make it through a little bit more of William Faulkner's "Absalom! Absalom!" which I'm having a pretty hard time figuring out so far! We'll be visiting his childhood home in Oxford, Mississippi in less than a week and I figure I might as well get in the right mind frame...but it's going to take me that long just to get through the first 50 pages at this rate! His run on sentences and wordy descriptions have me re reading each page about 4 times before I even pretend to understand what he's talking about!

Well this has been a little wordy I suppose...I'll try to keep it shorter in my future posts, but there is just so much to say about these places that I don't know how I'll manage!
the Main Building
Listening to: Fleetwood Mac
Best Eat of the day: Sandwich U's Fat Mouse Sandwich
Best coffee shop so far: Blue Moose Cafe

0 comments:

Post a Comment