Breaking News
Loading...
Thursday, July 23, 2009

Info Post
Photobucket

After all the exciting big cities we've been visiting, Mike and I decided it was high time for some Southern small town charm. We were told by a highly reliable source that Athens and Madison were well worth the detour and are we ever glad we stopped! Our visits were brief - and incredibly efficient - we both scored a crazy jackpot at a 50% off sale at Minx Vintage in Athens and ate a really delicious lunch at The Grit!
Madison was ridiculously pretty! We spent about two hours just walking around sipping extra large iced coffees from Perk Avenue and imagining which house we would buy to raise our millions of babies in if we had the option! The streets are all lined with mansions bigger than the last and the whole town is teeming with Southern hospitality!

Photobucket

A less than satisfying van sleepover in a Walmart parking lot left me tired and mildly cranky this morning, but that was almost immediately remedied when we drove into Savannah and I realized my heart belongs to this city. From the pretty beaches of Tybee Island (where I lost my 25 cent Loretta Lynn flea market sunglasses to a nasty wave) to the perfectly preserved historic district and all the delicious seafood restaurants in between, this place is the greatest place I've ever been to, and I'm including Paris in that list!

Photobucket

If you ever make it down here, definitely visit the Colonial Park Cemetary, sit on the bench Forrest Gump narrates his story from in Chippewa square (I'm totally guilty of loving that movie, I don't care how bad anyone thinks it is), eat at any of the seafood places along River Street, spend some time in City Market no matter how touristy it is, walk down Congress St and end your night with a Whisky Sour at the Bayou Cafe or a Martini in the basement piano bar of The Olde Pink House. Have an Ice Cream Soday at Leopold's and stay at any of the wonderful old Victorian homes turned B&B no matter how much more they cost than a motel! We're staying another day and night here because we love it so much, and I'm sure I'll have even more wonderful places to report about tomorrow! I think I want to go back to that cemetary again though, it nearly broke my heart seeing all the cracking, faded 300 year old tombstones (that General Sherman's men allegedly moved around for fun during their crazy Southern rampage), and the whole city is dripping with Spanish Moss and pretty pink blossoms!

Photobucket

I've rambled on enough for one post...excuse my cheesy ravings, but when you see this place for yourself, you will know just what I mean!

0 comments:

Post a Comment