Breaking News
Loading...
Thursday, July 17, 2008

Info Post
Jeans. We all have them. Some people have a lot. I have eight pairs. In my defence though, some are thrifted, most were cheap ($30) and I haven't changed size in about 6 years. Yes, that is right, I still have jeans that I bought when I was 14. Cue embarassment.

This weekend, I was asked to paint some jeans for my boyfriend's work thing for Jeans for Genes day. Jeans for Genes is a really awesome fundraiser for the Childrens Medical Research Institute.

So anyway, I went about searching for inspiration for these jeans. The jeans that I chose to paint on were secondhand black denim high-waisted jeans that were a little bit too short for me. I wanted to incorporate their current state into the design. Let's just say there wasn't a lot of online inspiration. Look up painted jeans and you'll see what I mean - glitter, a picture of a Bratz doll on each leg....

Not that this isn't art, it's just not exactly the elegantly quirky vibe I was looking for.

So I wrote a list of what I may want to include - comic book graphics, sequins (maybe...), metallic thread, mainly black and white, bursts of colour, studding, bow at the waist. The pattern is sort of a bit like this but sparser, bigger and more black and white.



Now, I actually have to do the painting, which will be a long and messy job but at least now I have an end product in mind.

For more painted jeans inspiration - How to make your own waxed jeans from the lovely Fluxor. Just a little bit more wearable than my idea.
Also, the boys from Ksubi have/had a great painted jeans idea that featured in Teen Vogue.

0 comments:

Post a Comment