Breaking News
Loading...
Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Info Post
I like crystals. They have been tarred with a wiccan brush, but the resurgence of them in a fashion context has made me reassess. They are simultaneously raw and surreal, magical and earthy. And, as a latent moonchild I'm quite adamant that they have an effect. I have three rose quartz stones, and aside from being quite beautiful, they are soothing to hold in your palm, warm and smooth and containing astoundingly complex molecular structures that must surely hold some sort of power. Billy Bride is a newish jewelry label, created by Renee Warne, who is based in Sydney. They are simple and cleanly designed, made by hand from indigene Australian materials. You can see more of the range here, and you can also look through Renee's carefully curated selection of inspiration and reference here. I asked her a few questions about her work.










Tell me how you started working with crystals – what about them appeals to you?
There is an intangibly engaging quality to rock crystal. At times the play of light can seem other-worldly, and yet there is an ever-present earthliness that is tranquil and grounding. I had crystals arrayed across my workspace, and through my home, but I was always compelled to be more involved. Design is my passion, and showcasing these stones in a wearable structure is an enormously rewarding process.



What is the crystal you carry most often and what does it mean to you?
I feel the strongest affinity for Rose Quartz. Aesthetically the natural rock-like appearance is less magnificent than Amythest or Citrine, but it is peaceful and warming and it encourages me to aspire during periods of plateau.




What have you been wearing, doing, watching, reading and listening to lately?
I am reading the Australian novel ‘Monkey Grip’ by Helen Garner for the second time, which is a bad habit of mine, and I’m rejoicing at rediscovering my Haider Ackerman clogs which somehow disappeared into the abyss of my closet for the last 2 years. I’m listening to an amazing 1977 live version of The Misfits ‘She’, and looking forward to watching The Doors’ film ‘When You’re Strange’ narrated by Johnny Depp.



Why ‘Billy Bride’? Where did the name come from?
The title ‘Billy Bride’ is a link to some of my strongest musical influences; Johnny Cash, The Doors, Danzig, and most significantly American songwriter Will Oldham (aka Bonnie Prince Billy). His collaborative work with Harmony Korine for the piece ‘No More Workhorse Blues’ explores the darkness of relationships, haunting isolation, and the inexorable ties between commitment and burden.



How would you describe your aesthetic?
My approach to jewellery design is far from traditional, yet I feel there is an element of timelessness to each design. It is raw, and at times extreme, but always focussed on the fragility of the crystal, and the unique bond that each stone strikes with the wearer.

0 comments:

Post a Comment