Breaking News
Loading...
Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Info Post
miss lucia wearing lulufinder



I've been a fan of Lucia Holm's self portraits for some time now, so when she purchased a couple of pieces from me I was quite excited! Above she is wearing a custom nautical inspired romper. Keep an eye on the shop for some similar playsuits to come!

Below is an interview I had with Miss Lulu. Be sure to check out her flickr and her new website.



**********


miss lulu and the teaspoon shortage...excellent name, where does it come from?
My cousin and her best friend used to give everyone they knew strange nicknames likeee, 'woven basket' or, 'gentle feathers'--they said the names just came to them, more like a feeling...They happened to give my twin brother the name 'teaspoon shortage' and I always loved it. So basically, I stole it from him :) (he wasn't doing anything with it anyway!).

is it true you are a self taught photographer?
I am a self taught photographer, which explains why I'm still a bit of an amateur in my mind. I went to undergrad and grad school for illustration/fine art (originally believing one day I would be a master comic book artist OR the next Francesco Clemente, hehe). Funnily enough, I never took a single photography class. When I graduated from grad school, I decided I needed a break from drawing/painting and picked up a camera, just for fun. From that moment on, I began teaching myself everything I could about digital photography. I hope to take some traditional film classes down the line--it's always good to have that foundation (it's what I was always taught in my fine art studies, and I think it rings true with basically anything).

what made you focus solely on photography?
I guess I accidentally answered that question by rambling on in the previous question haha. Basically, after all the years of drawing and painting, I needed that break. However, I still needed something artistically gratifying to occupy my time. The camera was a perfect choice, especially since initially there was no pressure to go anywhere with it. I just snapped a few selfs for myspace and people seemed to like them....I never really took photography too seriously in the past (not that I didn't respect it as an art form, just that I never thought I'd ever be involved with it), but I quickly changed my feelings after a few months of fiddling with my first camera.

who inspires your work?
Lewis Carroll, Tim Burton, the Bronte` sisters, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Marilyn Monroe, Gregory Crewdson, Cindy Sherman, Alfred Hitchcock, David Lynch, Mother Nature, to name a few. The list is HUGE, I can't even begin to address everyone/everything.

best childhood memory
I don't have a specific memory that jumps out at me...Tea time with mom has remained a favorite past time, watching my father cook as well....Going on "archaeological digs" in my best friend's backyard took up many hours--that was quite joyful hehe. I wanted to be Indiana Jones when I was little.


your style is quite lovely and distinct...want to share secrets about your favorite places to shop?

Etsy Etsy Etsy. Definitely my favorite at the moment. Ebay has some good finds too. I was a Topshop maniac for a while, but realized it's a biiiit too pricey for constant use. The Union Square Forever 21 has some good finds on the occasion as well!

do you make any of your own clothes?
I received a sewing machine from my boyfriend for Valentine's Day about 2 yrs ago--I've yet to use it haha. I tried! I even bought fabric and some patterns..My mom said she will show me how one day, we just haven't gotten around to it. I have, however, made myself some nice little fabric bows to spruce up my clothes.


greatest summertime activity...
Going to Parker House. It's a restaurant a block from the beach in NJ, that's in the shape of a large, porched, beautiful house. They have 8 dollar lobsters. What is better than that?! Going to New York City on a summer night is always fun too, as well as early evening to early morning bbq's on the water....

what's next
Within the next couple of years I would like to really establish myself as a full time photographer. I'm on the right path, and have become increasingly busy over the past year. My good friend Mandy ( www.mandybisesti.com) is a wonderful makeup/special effects artist, and we hope to conquer the world as a team!

thank you lovely. xoxo

*******

0 comments:

Post a Comment