Breaking News
Loading...
Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Info Post

For twenty-nine years the little town of Meadow, North Carolina, has created quite the buzz with their version of a 'Christmas Fantasy', the Meadow Lights. Each evening between Thanksgiving and New Years Eve festive spirits visit by the car load. This year was my first trip to see the Lights. I was particularly impressed by the life-size Last Supper and Betsy Ross working on her flag, both of which are staged under awnings using mannequins and then spot-lit. The more traditional light displays go on for acres, you can even ride a train through the site to see everything a bit more closely. It's not so easy to capture all the lights on camera, so I hope you can make the trip to Meadow or somewhere similar closer to home. My favourite were the bucking broncos!



When you can't stand the cold anymore, you've had a go on the indoor carousel and been to see Santa, it's time to hit the Candy Store. The Candy Store is every sweet tooth's fantasy, with more than 300 different types of candy overflowing old-timey baskets and buckets. Candy cigarettes, gummi bears, coconut flags, chocolate drops - you name it they've got it. I'm a big peanut butter fan, so I was happy to see so many different peanut butter candies: sticks, crunches, pillows, bars.. . In fact, it seemed that every flavour imaginable was there in pole, stick, pillow and bar form.






I'm also very fond of peppermint puffs and sticks so was happy to see Piedmont candies alongside many other local and made-in-the-South candies. With flavours like 'Horehound' and 'Sassafrass' how can you resist?



Thinking about all the sugary confections now, I don't know how I was able to walk away with so little! Gumdrops for our gumdrop tree, a hot apple cider to keep me warm and a Blenheim ginger ale for the road. And of course, visions of sugarplums dancing in my head.


0 comments:

Post a Comment