Breaking News
Loading...
Saturday, July 17, 2010

Info Post
The week before I left, South London was tuggin' on my heartstrings like never before. I had fallen. . . hard. When I'd had enough of packing, I went on 'holiday' again. I spent one of many perfect afternoons exploring the Horniman Museum and its 16 acres of gardens, which opened in Forest Hill in 1901.



The darkened Natural History Gallery was my favourite bit, with hundreds of stuffed animals, many now extinct, enveloped in the most beautiful nomenclature graphics and raised lettering. If only more museums would keep their traditional, elegant methods of display. The invigilator told us that many of the cases are very fragile and when opened emit toxic fumes! The Museum plans to revise the display cases as much of the information is now out of date, but we've been reassured the graphics will not change.







After taking in such inspiring views what could be better than a picnic lunch in the ornamental gardens, a nature walk and pause at the 1912 bandstand, and to top it all off lemonade by the Victorian conservatory? A perfect afternoon, indeed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment