Breaking News
Loading...
Monday, May 24, 2010

Info Post
I can't recall how I stumbled on Afton Hakes' blog, Freckle Farm, but all I know is I'm glad I did. She always finds things that pique my interest, and I find myself stealing her recipes too. She's also a wonderful art director/designer/illustrator based in Portland. Here are her top ten favourite things right now...


1. Ankle Socks: I was hesitant to embrace this look, as it sort of brought me back to my Catholic grade school days. First Communion style. But after purchasing a few pairs of soft solid ankle socks by We Love Colors in Chelsea, I was hooked. They look so cute with wedge heels and rolled skinny jeans.



2. Chambray Anything: I will rock the duel denim, and I don't care what anyone thinks. Chambray is so classic, paired with anything. My favorite is my slightly faded chambray boy style button down with black high waisted shorts.



3. Jorge Ben: Perhaps my favorite listening right now. Brazilian funk...get into it.


4. Hazel Jewels: My collection of jewelry by fellow Portlander Hazel Cox is borderline dangerous. (I recently got the lot INSURED if that tells you anything about my obsession.) I first met Hazel in Boise, Idaho, when I was a coffee-shop-working-art-student and she was a free-wheeling-Saturday-market-jewelry-pusher. We bonded over a shared love for pyrite, smoky quartz, and black onyx and have been pals ever since. Her work is like no other, and my love affair with her creations has grown more intense over the years. It has been inspiring to watch her craft evolve. Last fall, we collaborated on her website to showcase her growing permanent collection. It is no surprise that I was more than happy to be paid partially in trade.

5. Bergamot Orange Blossom Perfume: Made by Caitlin Davies of Intentions Perfumery. This stuff is the exception to my "I don't wear perfume" rule...perfectly musky but slightly sweet, and a pleasant hybrid of two of the best scents.




6. Neutrals: My favorite trend right now, and something I've embraced for years. Does that mean it's not a trend? Anyway—creams, tans, grays, nudes, and peachy hues all piled together. Dreamy.

7. Roasted Chickpeas: I have Everyone Loves Sandwiches to thank for introducing me to this little culinary wonder. I began making them after reading this post, and they are now in heavy rotation in my kitchen. I like to roast them a little bit longer, so they get a bit crunchy on the outside. Perfect in a spinach salad or a big bowl of couscous with roasted veggies. Om nom nom nom nom.



8. Purple Oxalis: I now have two of these plants at my studio, one at home, and two that I've gifted to fellow plant lovers. So unique, they look like delicate purple clovers and open and close with the rising / setting sun. It's almost like having a pet. Almost.



9. Alpaca Sweaters: I have snagged a few Rachel Comey Alpaca sweaters over the past couple winters. The wool is so soft and warm, and has quickly become a winter staple.

10. Sea Salt Caramels: Need I say more? I generally favor savory over sweet, but these little morsels are the best of both worlds. I like to eat them very slowly and let the gooey caramel melt in my mouth. Portland's very own Pix Patisserie makes a salted caramel french macaroon that is HEAVEN. (Now I have to go get one, stat.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment