Breaking News
Loading...
Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Info Post

The past six months have been a bit of a nitemare for me. Lots of troubles and ups and downs, worries about where I will end up and what will happen. I don't really want to go into it too much on here but let's just say, I might soon be unemployed and moving back to the US. I've held on hoping that something would happen in London, but it doesn't look good. It won't be the worst thing that's ever happened, but it's definitely not what I want to do. I will go knowing I've done everything I could have done, and I will take with me some fabulous memories of the past two-and-a-half years here.

That being said, Golden Lane (Designed in 1952 by Chamberlin, Powell and Bon - who later designed the Barbican - and completed 1962) is just a hop, skip and a jump away from the office, and it's a sight that never ceases to amaze me. It's the perfect lunchtime hideaway, especially if you're like me and fascinated by housing estates. . . the designs, the names of the blocks. Great Arthur House towers over the rest of the blocks, its brilliant yellows captivating in sun and in shade.

I've heard plenty of horror stories about people being told to leave the country within 24 hours, which right now would be my worst nitemare. If that ever happened I would prolly have to leave a lot of treasures behind. And recently I've started thinking, if I could only take one suitcase, what would be in it? This ensemble would be one of the first things to go in, rag curls and all. My friend Ashby sent me a lil' care package from back home and inside was this polka dot Judy Bond blouse, complete with its original tags from an Asheboro department store. After a soak I have been wearing it at least once (!) a week. The skirt I found at a vintage shop in Brick Lane - does anybody remember 'Vintage Heaven'? - One of those shops where things are brought in by the truckload, and you had to really comb the racks to find a treat. At their closing down sale I found this beautiful homemade skirt, which I've also been spending a lot of time in. And let's not forget my favourite light-weight jacket, a workwear smock with peter pan collar and rich layers of history, from the first Angels sale. These would all prolly go into the suitcase first thing.





Speaking of suitcases, I'd better get back to packing. Cornwall here I come . . . !

0 comments:

Post a Comment