Breaking News
Loading...
Sunday, May 30, 2010

Info Post
I'm really excited about summer this year! I'm really looking forward to my 3 weeks in France and I've been listening to "Sea sex and sun" by Serge Gainsbourg to really get in the mood for the French riviera (I'll probably skip the sex part but I'll enjoy the sea and sun!). When I get back I'll only be in Sweden for a week until we go to England for Carl's cousins wedding. I know that I expressed some cynical views about weddings a couple of months ago in a blog post, but I don't hate them! It's just that we have a huge wedding hysteria in Sweden now since the oldest princess is getting married so I got fed up. I'm way to sentimental not to love weddings. After all the traveling, I'll spend a week at the west coast in my parents summer house by the sea. I love the sea more than anything and missed it so much after moving from Göteborg. Anyway, enough about my summer schedule, here's a list of my top favorite summer movies that can be watched after a long day at the beach:

1. Sommar med Monika

Summer with Monika is one of my all time favorite movies! It's about a young couple who runs away one summer and lives on different islands in the archipelago outside of Stockholm. It was controversial abroad when it came out since you get to see Harriet Anderssons naked behind. It's a really sweet yet bitter love story

2. Nóz w wodzie

The knife in the water is about a middle aged man and his younger wife on their way out on a sailing trip. They end up inviting a young hitch-hiker to come with them and this eventually leads to a domestic triangle where the two men start fighting on the boat and the young man falls into the water. The movie is built up great and the soundtrack by Krystof Komeda is fantastic.

3. The Cement Garden

The cement garden is about a teenage boy who lives with his two sisters and little brother in a depressing little town. During a short period of time both parents in the family die and the two oldest kids decide to bury the mother in the basement in order to avoid foster care. The relationship between the boy and his older sister slowly evolves to an incestious love affair while the home falls apart under the care of only children. It's a really weird movie with a great feeling of decadent teenage summer.

4. 8 1/2

8 1/2 is about a movie director trying to relax after his latest big movie, but everyone around him is excited to get started with a new movie again. He finally decides to make a new movie, inspired by his surroundings. This movie, like most of Fellini's movies, is more based on moments than plot. This movie feels like an orgy of childhood memories and is also one of my favorites all time!

5. En kärlekshistoria

En kärlekshistoria is a beautiful love story about two young teenagers. The contrast between the pure love of the teenagers and the uglyness of the adult world makes it extra powerful. This is a classic Swedish movie and one of the best teen movies ever in my opinion! The movie takes place in the same neighbourhood I grew up so I feel extra connected to it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment