Breaking News
Loading...
Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Info Post

Bud book
*





I am absolutely smitten with The Darling Buds of May, having stumbled upon the first four episodes at my local library. The closer it gets to my summer holiday the more Anglocentric I become! First broadcast in the U.K. between 1991 and 1993 and based on the 1950s-60s novels by H.E. Bates, The Darling Buds of May will plop you down in romantic and dreamy 1950s Kent from where you may never want to return.






Untitled-51






Pop Larkin and his family were apparently inspired by a colourful character seen in a local shop in Kent by Bates and his family when on holiday. The man turned up to the shop with a huge wad of rubber-banded bank notes and proceeded to spoil his trailer load of children with Easter eggs and ice creams. The novels are also the source of the American movie The Mating Game (1959) starring Tony Randall and Debbie Reynolds.





Untitled-88





I grabbed a few stills to entice you, but if you want you can also find the DVD's on Netflix. Some of my favourite scenes take place in a strawberry patch, which made me think back to my very own pick-your-own moment. The Larkin house is just the type of house I love to visit and would like to live in one day - they've lived there forever and the collections and layers of history are just so 'homey' to me. This series launched Catherine Zeta Jones' career and her character, Mariette, has got great style! I am so glad Spring is here so I can let my inner Mariette out!







Untitled-48

Untitled-53

Untitled-58

Untitled-66

Untitled-69

Untitled-71

Untitled-72

Untitled-73

Untitled-75

Untitled-78

Untitled-79

Untitled-84

Untitled-85

Untitled-90

Untitled-94

Untitled-91

Untitled-104

Untitled-108
Untitled-112

0 comments:

Post a Comment