Breaking News
Loading...
Sunday, January 23, 2011

Info Post


One of my favourite things in my house is a framed illustration of a moody, bespectacled girl called Susan. It's by Kelly Thompson, a New Zealand illustrator and photographer who is now based in Melbourne, and has really cool hair. Like me, she has had the new year work blues - but has found inspiration in an special place...

"I'm not going to lie, I've been a little uninspired so far this year, but it's not the end of January yet so I'm telling myself that it's ok, it's summer time. I think the combination of moving countries and settling in has left me somewhat distracted: instead of checking my emails and cracking into some new work I am a little consumed by how I am going to decorate my new house (previously a gay granny house) and my new goal of having a garden I can eat, which is going quite well so far. Am I getting old? I am also consumed by the urge to shop, which creates quite a viscous cycle of problems due to my lack of work motivation... Consumerism - not working - no money - stressing- but still wanna buy that!

But just as I was considering the downfall of my creative self and transformation into a poor socialite homemaker, something amazing happened. My friend Yuge took me to my new heaven, and I'm not even exaggerating here. "A Day on Earth" is artist David Bromley's studio, although it's not really a studio as he doesn't do his work there - it's basically his own personal museum/my inspiration station, and all I want to do is sit on the floor and hang out there all day. It's like stepping into a movie set full of art and collectibles all arranged against a backdrop of peeling walls, antique rugs and ornate 1800s carpentry; oh how my eyes were popping out of their sockets. If I wasn't scared of ghosts (and I reckon they're guaranteed there), I would totally sneak in during the day and hide so I could live there without anyone knowing, just me and the eye candy ahhhhh.
So I have a fresh burst of inspiration or envy, I can't decide which one yet, but it's so refreshing to see a real life fantasy land, and it reminded me of how much I love being a creative."

0 comments:

Post a Comment