Breaking News
Loading...
Saturday, September 25, 2010

Info Post
Photos: Michael Ng for NZFW / Olivia Hemus for Stephen Marr

I always compare a good fashion show as being a bit like a slap in the face: it wakes you up, stirs your emotions. The clothes, the hair, the makeup, the venue, the music, the atmosphere; it all comes together to make you feel like you're watching something special unfold right in front of you. That's how I felt about Salasai's NZFW show with designer Kirsha Whitcher's "angelic army" of androgynous boys and girls. I loved the gold leaf in the dead straight hair, the clean makeup, the classical Metallica track that opened the show, the eerie landscape print, and especially the kilts.
I've been watching Kirsha since she launched Salasai in 2006, and it's been so nice watching her evolve and 'find her voice' so to speak. This is the best part of my job as a fashion writer; witnessing designers go from newbie 'ones to watch' to standing strongly on their own - something that I've had the pleasure of seeing the likes of Lonely Hearts, Twenty-seven Names and Juliette Hogan do also. Congratulations Kirsha and team Salasai!

0 comments:

Post a Comment