Breaking News
Loading...
Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Info Post

Megan owns Summerland, which is an amazing store based in Portland. Summerland stocks wonderful things I've never seen available to buy before, like incense in every Zodiac sign, scents that smell like leather and violets, hair tonics, banners that spell out things like MAGIC SURROUNDS, and beautiful dresses by Karen Walker and TBA. As well as cool vintage finds - shoes, bags, jeans. I spend ages on her site doing imaginary shopping, so it was nice to hear what else she's into. Stevie Nicks forever.


1. Big Sur - My first trip to this magical stretch of California coastline was over the summer during my honeymoon. We stayed in some very rustic cabins set in a tiny canyon with a private deck nestled in the redwoods. The only thing to do there is eat great food, soak in all the beautiful views and maybe spend a leisurely afternoon reading in the Henry Miller museum.



2. Mazzy Star/Hope Sandoval - The minute I put on She Hangs Brightly I am immediately transported to my teenage room at my parents house. I would spend hours listening to their albums over and over while painting or just zoning out like a typical 15 year old. I thought (and still think) Hope Sandoval is one of the most beautiful people to ever exist. They are coming out with a new album after a 15 year hiatus, #1 thing to look forward to in 2012!


3. Dive Bars - Don't get me wrong, I like a well crafted speciality drink in a thoughtfully decorated bar with extremely flattering lighting once in a while but most of the time I am content in an all American neighborhood dive. The kind of dark bar with a jukebox, stiff drinks with the scent of 30 year old tobacco lingering in the air. One more important component: a really good hamburger.


4. Harney & Sons Paris Tea - I originally bought this tea because the tin is so pretty and was pleasantly surprised! This is the tea that got me to cut my coffee consumption in half. It is perfect in the afternoon with milk and a spoon full of honey. I especially like it served in a tall bistro glass to up the Parisian vibe.

5. OLO Fragrances - Heather Sielaff is an olfactory genius! She creates the most thoughtful and intriguing scents, all hand blended from precious essential oils that are often sourced here in the Pacific Northwest. My personal favorite is Lightning Paw, a warm blend of bergamot, vanilla, jasmine, patchouli and wood. She also makes an incredible argan oil Hair Tonic that has transformed my unruly tresses.


6. Norwegian Forest Cats - I don't think I have to explain this one much, just look at the photo! Giant fluffy viking kitty friends with big bushy tails and a robust meow. The best!


7. Wild Heart Tote - I have a special spot in my heart for this collaborative tote between Fieldguided and Summerland. I had been a fan of Anabela + Geoff's minimalist totes with carefully chosen lyrics from some of my favorite songs and was thrilled when they agreed to create a special design just for the shop. Of course I had to pick a Stevie Nicks song and "blame it on my wild heart" is too perfect, especially with the soft pink ombre dye.


8. Salvatore Ferragamo - There's nothing more elegant than those little gold and grosgrain bows. I'm not sure how it happened but at some point I started collecting vintage Ferragamo pumps, they are so comfortable and one of the only shoemakers I've found that make shoes in my size (10.5 AA, what a curse!). The quality is amazing and you can get great deals on vintage styles on Ebay and Etsy.


9. Baby Goats Dancing - My heart is full! I am now spending all my spare time researching how to have one or two of these little guys at my new house.


10. Peonies - The ultimate flower, in my opinion. I try to have fresh flowers in my home whenever possible, they have great energy and always manage to cheer me up. The soft pink blush of a peony is the most romantic color in the universe.

0 comments:

Post a Comment