Breaking News
Loading...
Sunday, July 17, 2011

Info Post

Philo doesn't tweet, blog or communicate via Facebook. When she shows her collections, her backstage area isn't open to the media. "Once the show has happened there's no need to control any image," she says, "but I don't like the idea of people sending out images before we've even done it. We don't allow anyone to do that. I don't like all that 'model backstage standing around having her picture taken in a stupid pose'."

"To me, the show is quite a complete story. There's nothing more for me to say and, anyway, it doesn't matter what it was meant to say. It's out there. It can be whatever anyone watching it thought it was, surely."

"I absolutely love fashion. I love doing new things and finding ways to swerve in a different direction. But one of the reasons why I try to use fabrics and cuts that don't go out of fashion is because I like the idea of women buying the clothes and then... I don't know what the word is... cherish sounds over-emotional for a relationship with a piece of clothing... but for a woman to feel proud, satisfied, comfortable and powerful in them, to wear them and get on with their lives."

The interview's over and for the first time since it began, Phoebe Philo leans back in her chair and relaxes. "Shall we have a fag?" she says.

Phoebe Philo: intelligent, fashion hero, blunt, talented, amazing, I love her, etc, etc. There are many things to admire about the Celine designer, but something that I find especially endearing is her media unfriendliness. Her approach to fashion is refreshing as well - no stupid backstage model photos that are beloved of so many bloggers, a lack of ego about how her shows are interpreted ("it can be whatever anyone watching it thought it was"), and a realistic approach to how women dress. I really like her comment about how fashion can help women feel proud and powerful, but then they get on with living their lives.
The quotes above are from a great profile from the Independent; you can read it here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment