Breaking News
Loading...
Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Info Post






[Image from here]

In the first in a series of conversations with the creative people who inspire me: Brenda Harvey of Benah recently launched her collection Pale Ryder at Simon James Concept at The Department Store. She makes beautiful bags, scarves and cuffs that I have amassed a rather large collection of - this season being no exception - the Kodi cuff, a red suede Chain bag and a delicate scarf for head and neck wrapping. At least one of these pieces can be found on my person each day. 

But, more than that, Brenda is kind, intelligent and creates pieces that have captivating references from beautiful, quality leathers and silks, that will last and last. 


Tell me about the inspiration & references for your new collection, Pale Ryder.

I was inspired by the idea of fate and destiny. Is our future predetermined? Do already have a chosen path in life or are we just hurtling through space? But, even more interesting is how different people perceive their own destiny. I think this has a lot to do with where they are in life. The stability or fragilely of their current situation really effects your view on things, and the great thing is that your perception can be changed by very slight occurrences.

All these ideas lead to the collection having quite a 70s vibe with suedes and a kind of worn in look. I also connected a lot with this era as I was quite obsessed with listening to the song Pale Rider (which the collection is named after) by a Sydney band, The Preachers. It just felt right, and suited my mindset. We actually cast Issy (the singer) in the look book and short film for the collection which will be screen at the end of this month at a special event in Sydney.

You can download Pale Rider the song for free here.

I design from quite a personal and often emotional place. The themes of the collection always reflect how I am feeling at the time. I had just had my first baby and was feeling quite a great sense of love of this little being and wondering where her life would take her - so looking back the theme of destiny seems very fitting.



What is the Benah point of difference?
I think one of the biggest point of difference with Benah is that it is ageless. I have teenage girls and also grandmothers that love the brand. I like the fact that it can cross generations yet still stays very true to its core aesthetic. People also respect that Benah stays true to what it does, quality timeless accessories. In the future I would love to expand the product categories but we will always focus on quality timeless accessories. It's exciting to think about what the future holds.

What are you enjoying at the moment - music, film, art, books?
Making itty bitty shoes for my baby girl.
Houndstooth print.
The film Bridesmaids.
Prince.
Glitter. 
Score and Solder
Anything Givenchy.
Laura Marling. 
The Glow
Rhubarb.
Purple Carrots.
The Marrickville Markets.
Bois D’Orange A Perfume by Pierre Bourdon.
Patent Leather.
Rant by Chuck Palahniuk.
Semi-dried pears.
Morris Lapidus.
Pink in all shades.
Cassini Misson.

What are your five favorite pieces of clothing at the moment?
I feel like I have been living between the 70’s and the 90’s lately. So, right now I'm quietly obsessed with....
1. A second hand Levi's denim jacket. Great wash, perfect colour, and fits like a slightly oversized glove.
2. Givenchy Rottweiler T-shirt. I scoured the globe for that baby. It's getting some serious wear.
3. APC cotton jersey skirts. One word, comfort.
4. My new cat's eye optical frames.
5. It's not quite clothing but can definitely make an outfit, nail art. Multi colored, pastel, glitter, crazy colours, you name it. I love it all.







What beauty products are you using?
Beauty? Products? Hmmmm tough question.
I really, really wish that I was one of those people that had a regime, but I’ve tried and it just doesn’t seem to want to stick, so, right now, not that much. Some Aesop Body wash, and Dior mascara is pretty much it. I do love Trilogy rose hip oil, I use it like a moisturizer when needed. And before I die I will perfect that liquid eyeliner!

What do you miss about New Zealand?
So many things, but here are a few....
The wide open spaces.
The sense of familiarity of places and people.
The feeling of being patriotic I feel when I am at home.
Kumara, not that sweet potato, but the real purple NZ amazing kumara.
All the amazing knitted baby clothes that you can pick up from second-hand stores, I stocked up while visiting recently.
But most of all I miss New Zealanders.

0 comments:

Post a Comment