Breaking News
Loading...
Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Info Post
AHAHAHAHA! It's a good thing then that I haven't run out of personal opinions, because I'm not old enough to be wise. However, I am old enough to vote, to drink (here in Australia), to drive and to be put in jail for drinking in public. Which is where I have been for the past couple of weeks. Not really but that would be a fairly epic excuse for not posting enough.

After the frivolity of the last post concerning the Olsen Twins (many opinions were put forward but the consensus says 'You aren't sexy enough, Olsen Twins), it's back to business.
I began this blog in order to share thoughts and ideas about fashion, culture and personality. I needed to convince myself that the most important thing in many people's lives wasn't whether Ford was or is better than Holden. I don't care. I'm interested in how clothes can change things, how they make people feel and how they can contribute to a person's sense of self.

For example, here are some of my icons. They are not necessarily style icons (although most of them are). It's more that I admire their views on life, how they do things and the type of person they try to be.

First of all is an easy call. Jean Seberg is awesome. She led a varied life and often felt as though she didn't fit in or know what her place was. She was thrust into the spotlight in the film 'Saint Joan' and made another 33 films in both America and France. Her short life was one filled with grief and tragedy but she always tried to help the disadvantaged, she was an advocate for the right of both African American and Native Americans. For this she was considered a threat to America. She stood up for what she believed was right, no matter how depressed she was in her private life. That is true strength.
Style-wise, she dressed in a simple manner that let her true beauty shine through.

Elsa Schiaparelli was another true original. She is responsible for many of the things we take for granted in the world of fashion: zips that are same colour as fabrics, shoulder pads and animal prints. She was bold and avant garde and unapologetically herself. This, I admire her greatly for.

And finally (this may cause some controversy), I admire Cory Kennedy. And not just for her clothes. I would love to have her carefree take on life where every day is a party. Despise me if you must but in some respects, I think that everyone should be a little bit more like Cory.



The next installation of my 'People who Inspire Me' series will focus on people who are fictional characters/characterisations i.e. not real people.

0 comments:

Post a Comment