Breaking News
Loading...
Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Info Post
So it's Australian Fashion Week, and I'm embarassed again. I don't know whether its because of the different hemispheres or because we show later than everyone else, but I always feel as though some Australian designers take other designers ideas and put their own spin on it. There is no originality, no spark. It's nice, it's pretty but whatever.

For example, Jayson Brunsdon did a great collection a couple of years back now inspired by Maria Callas. It was breathtaking. This year collection is full of shiny taffeta, smacks of Prada. And that's all I can think when looking at the collection.

Camilla and Marc, who frankly I love, presented a disappointing collection which again I think, had too much influence from other designers. Australian fashion designers need to realise that designers make the trends, not follow them.
Alex Zabotto-Bentley (quite a name) was both criticised and congratulated for his show designing under his label Fashion Assassin. It seems that old AZB took the whole naughty Lolita thing a bit far, because when some girls bent down to touch their toes in a flirtatious manner (?), the people sitting on the other side saw a whole lot they didn't want to. Those were short shorts.

Probably one of the only designers who I thought, 'Wow, that's rad' after viewing their collection was Ginger and Smart. The patterns, the florals (which are a pattern, but they deserve their own mention) and the colours. Absolutely divine. Hopefully next year it's not so bad.


(?) denotes that I have never heard of touching my toes in a flirtatious manner but I guess it is possible. Oh wait, maybe it was for a big bend and snap. God bless you Legally Blonde.

0 comments:

Post a Comment